Permit Applications:

The RCKC now accepts credit payments for Driveway Right-of-Way Applications.  Click "Driveway Right-of-Way Application" below to complete an application and process your credit card payment.

A permit is not valid until you receive the approved permit with a signature and permit number.  

Schedule of Fees Effective January 1, 2016

Please use current forms listed below, old forms will no longer be accepted.  


Seasonal Public Utility/Agricultural Non-Emergency Application and Permit
Seasonal Public Utility Permit Route Notification Application (Seasonal Permit Above Required)
      Please email the Route Notification Application to
Annual Cab Card Application
Annual Mobile Home Transportation Application
Single Move Application
Single Move Mobile Home Transportation Application 
Spacing Between Axles
9 Feet or over
27,000 Lbs
18,000 Lbs
25,200 Lbs
11,700 Lbs
More than 3 ½ feet, but less than 9 feet
19,500 Lbs
13,000 Lbs
18,200 Lbs
8,450 Lbs
When part of tandem axle assembly
24,000 Lbs
16,000 Lbs
22,400 Lbs
10,450 Lbs
When less than 3 ½ feet, the combined weight shall not exceed
13,500 Lbs
9,000 Lbs
12,600 Lbs
5,850 Lbs
Maximum load on any wheel shall not exceed (pounds per inch of tire width)
700 Lbs
700 Lbs
700 Lbs
450 Lbs

Right of Way:

Application to Construct in Right-of-Way
Driveway Right-of-Way Application
Encroachment Information

Winter Construction

Construction Guidelines Policy

Please allow 10-14 business days for review and processing applications to construct in right-of-way.

The penalties for working within the road right-of-way prior to obtaining a permit will include the cost of the permit plus any additional charges including  administrative and inspection expenses.  RCKC also reserves the right to remove said work within the right-of-way at the property owner’s expense.

When is a driveway permit needed?

  • If you are installing a new driveway
  • If you are paving or installing concrete on an existing gravel driveway
  • If you are removing a layer of asphalt or concrete and repaving with asphalt
  • If you are removing a layer of asphalt or concrete and installing a new concrete driveway
  • If you are widening your driveway
  • If you are installing a low use (agricultural or utility) driveway
  • For a temporary driveway
  • If you are installing a second driveway
 When is a driveway permit not needed?
  • If you are adding a layer of gravel to an existing gravel driveway
  • If you are seal coating an existing asphalt driveway (contractor’s  performing seal coating operations in the county’s right of way are required to have insurance on file at the RCKC)
  • General maintenance not involving resurfacing of existing driveway 
All contractors working in the right of way must have
insurance on file with the RCKC.

Insurance Requirements:


Your Local Road Professionals for over 105 Years

Home | Commissioners | Contact Us | Engineering | FAQs | Links | Maintenance | Maps
Meetings | News | Permits | Projects | Publications | Purchasing | Road Data | Staff




facebook Click to Like us on Facebook

© 1996-2015 Road Commission of Kalamazoo County
3801 East Kilgore Road · Kalamazoo, Michigan 49001
Web services and content management tools by KKzo LLC